by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Series: Starbound #2
Published by Disney-Hyperion Release date : December 23rd, 2014
Genres: Romance, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Source: BEA | Format: ARC
Purchase at: Amazon (Affiliate Link) • Audible • The Book Depository
Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.
Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.
Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.
Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.
I received this book for free from BEA in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I fell in love with These Broken Stars over a year ago – and I couldn’t have been more excited to finally start This Shattered World. Yes, it’s has been sitting on my shelf for a year, but I was scared too. Now, I didn’t love this as much, but I did enjoy it immensely.
What I liked
1. This book is brutal. I love seeing death & destruction because it portrays the realistic side of a war. Even one that is brewing.
2. Full of twists and action! If you were slightly bored with Lilac and Tarver trekking around and nothing happening – you will be happy to know that this just does not happen in This Shattered World. The plot is thicker, more intense and never had a dull moment.
3. Things make sense. Small things are link together to create the BIGGER PICTURE. YAY.
4. Jubilee is a bad ass. She is high-ranking, smart, strong and willing to take huge risks for those she loves and to do what is right. As for Flynn, he is the same. Although their initial fight was against each other – they were able to meet somewhere int he middle and find common ground in their cause. Both are soldiers at heart and I loved it.
5. The romance. It’s subtle, it doesn’t override the plot and is SO freaking sweet.
Why I couldn’t love it
There isn’t anything that JUMPS out at me for reasons why I didn’t love it. Small things add to big things, and that is case here. I just felt like I was missing something – this is probably because some things took TOO long to piece together, but this is all personal preference. Before I move on to book 3 this Winter, I will probably have to re-read the first two books.
So. If you are looking for an action packed, brutal sci-fi full of twists with a well written, swoony romance. READ THIS.
Tell Me Your Thoughts
Have you read These Broken Stars or This Shattered World? What do you think overall of this world?
If not, any reason WHY?
Tonyalee is an avid reader, gym junkie, coffee addicted workaholic, and blogger. Be sure to follow on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram for random shenanigans.