by Megan Crewe
Series: Earth & Sky #2
Published by Skyscape Release date : May 5th, 2015
Genres: Romance, Science Fiction, Time Travel, Young Adult
Purchase at: Amazon (Affiliate Link)
When seventeen-year-old Skylar escapes the time-bending Enforcers who secretly control Earth, her troubles have just begun. She and her friend Win take refuge on Win’s home space station with his fellow rebels, but the fate of Skylar’s planet still spins out of her control.
To avoid detection, Skylar poses as the Earthling “pet” of Win’s rival, an arrogant boy named Jule. Homesick and faced with a cool reception from the other rebels, she throws herself into the group’s mission: assembling a weapon to disable Earth’s restrictive time field. Gradually, Skylar’s skill for detail gains respect—even from Jule, who is more vulnerable than he lets on.
Yet challenges spring from every side. Not only must Sky navigate the muddy waters of romance, but suspicions of betrayal grow among the rebels as their work narrowly misses sabotage.
In the latest in Megan Crewe’s Earth & Sky series, can Skylar expose the traitor before time runs out and Earth is destroyed?
I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I really, really enjoyed the first book in the series, Earth & Sky, and couldn’t wait to get my hands on The Clouded Sky. The concept behind the series is quite fascinating, and I love learning more and more about both worlds and new characters.
The Clouded Sky starts off right were we left at the end of Earth & Sky. Skylar and Win have joined the remaining rebels (and the rest of the Kemyates) on their space station, and now they must look for a new threat within their ranks. During this time, Skylar learns a lot about the Kemyates their true thoughts about Earth and humans and just how far they will, and do, go for self-preservation.
- I loved getting to know more about the Kemyates. I have been curious about their motives since the beginning. And trust me, we learn a lot. This is not the best group of Aliens on a good day, and a lot of the things they did were horrible.
- The new cast of characters. I loved them. Some of them we met in the first book, aka Jule, but the rest? New and I loved.
- The plot twists. One, I saw coming. I thought the trader was obvious but…. View Spoiler » there was more than one trader! WHAT. « Hide Spoiler
- Skylar. I have to give it to this girl, she can hold it together in the worst of circumstances. While there were times i thought a few things she did were WAY TOO CONVENIENT to get things moving, I was able to kind of stick that to the side.. She is smart, resource full and strong.
- That ending though. HOLY BATMAN. It was a doozy!
What Didn’t Work
- The romance. What I loved about the first book is that while there was a hint at a romance, it didn’t consume the plot and left us to focus on I don’t know, SAVING EARTH. In The Clouded Sky, there is a romance. The problem with it is that I LOVE these two! View Spoiler » But I knew something was amiss the entire time! And I feel that the love interest was who it was for shock value later on. « Hide Spoiler This will definitely have its repercussion in the 3rd and final book, A Sky Unbroken.
- The pacing. This is more than likely a personal thing, but I thought the book was slow. It takes a long time for things to really pick up.
- There are still some holes. I mentioned above that we learn more about the Kemyates. But I feel like there is something missing. Yes, we learn about their motives but I don’t understand WHY. It could be because I am a little slow on the uptake – but there are still some things left unexplained that is driving me INSANE.
Overall – I liked The Clouded Sky. I adore Skylar, the new cast of characters and the world is fascinating. After the ending, I am looking forward to the final book in the series.
Tell me your thoughts
- Have you read any books in this series? If so, what are you thoughts so far?
- Do you like Science Fiction? Recommend a series to me!
Tonyalee is an avid reader, gym junkie, coffee addicted workaholic and blogger. Be sure to follow on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram for random shenanigans.