I’m excited to have Brittany from Novelly Yours Candles on the blog today!
1) Tell me a little about your shop! Novelly Yours is a book-inspired candle company with a little bit of everything in between! I dabble in pop culture, like TV shows and movies, every once in a while and I have a new “home line” that are just scents with no tethered inspiration so anyone can enjoy them regardless of fandom! Right now, I’m a one-woman show so anything you see made, posted, packaged, shared, and shipped, that was all done by me! I started the company in 2015 after picking up candle-making as a hobby and knew that books had to be my inspiration!
2) You’ve grown so much since starting out, and you’ve accomplish so much, which is AMAZING! What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment (thus far) in growing your business? Thank you!! I’ve been fortunate to do a lot of cool things with the business including starting my own candle “subscription” box (I put it in quotes because it’s like a sub box but you’re not required to subscribe) and participating as a vendor at some conferences, but I think the most exciting thing for me recently has been working with bookstores and seeing my candles sold in stores! It’s something I never even thought of when I was starting out and it’s just been so neat to my candles in these awesome indie bookstores!
3) What’s your process like when creating a new scent? It depends on what the candle is and what the inspiration is! If I know I want it to be inspired by a certain book, I’ll go back through my notes from while I was reading or page through to find some good scent inspirations that the author had noted. Sometimes I’ll find something as I’m reading and immediately know I want to turn it into a candle! Other times, I get to brainstorm what kind of scents may fit a general concept or theme, like for the “generally bookish” candles! My Currently Reading candle smells like book pages, coffee, and cotton because usually when I’m reading, I’m sitting on my couch curled up in a blanket with a cup of coffee. Plot Twist was more of an abstract concept so it has a more abstract feel, with “storms, musk, and mystery” as the scents, playing on the shock and chaos that a plot twist brings to a book. I knew I wanted it to smell a little dark and mysterious so I chose scents that reminded me of that feeling! It’s really a fun process and can be so different every time!
4) What’s been your most popular candle?Currently Reading is always a customer-favorite and one of mine too! Book Rainbow and Book Club have been gaining popularity since their introductions last year too!
5) Do you plan on expanding anymore than you already have? (New items, new target audience, etc) As far as expanding outside of making candles, probably not. Candles really keep my hands full (somewhat literally haha!) so as much as I’ve toyed with some ideas, they’ll still remain ideas, at least for the near future. I do make my own designs for the monthly boxes so that’s how I’ve been expanding without creating too much work for myself! I love being able to design things for prints, bookmarks, and other fun goodies for those boxes. I’m always trying to come up with new concepts for candle designs or candle lines so those will likely pop in as I have time to work on them!
I did introduce the Happy + Home collection last year, which is that line of home fragrances that I had mentioned. Each candle is a carefully crafted blend of fragrances designed for anyone to enjoy, each one coming with a wooden wick!