Today, I have Nikki Barthelmess on the blog, talking about her debut novel, The Quiet You Carry, expected to release March 5th, 2019. I’m super excited for the world to read this book. I finished this the other day, and let me tell you. This book hit close to home and I wish that this book was around years ago.
And the cover?! *heart eyes* Plus, you can enter to win a Pre-Order below.
- Thanks for coming on the blog today! For those that haven’t heard about The Quiet You Carry, can you describe it in a tweet? (old tweet, only 140 characters!)
Thanks for having me!
TQYC is about a teen in foster care trying to keep her painful past hidden in her new small town, while trying to figure out how to protect the stepsister she left behind.
- Having a similar background as your character Victoria, did this make it more difficult to write?
Victoria’s story isn’t based on mine, but there are similarities. Victoria’s emotions, from feeling abused and abandoned to wanting to protect her abuser as well as being ashamed of things that weren’t her fault, are all feelings I had. At times, it was painful reliving those.
- What was your biggest challenge while writing The Quiet You Carry?
In addition to the challenge of remembering some of the hardships of my past, I also struggled with trying to make this book perfect because I want to make the foster care community proud. I had to realize all I can do is my best.
- What theme or message would you like your readers to take away from reading Victoria’s story?
At its heart, The Quiet You Carry is about a person who has been treated terribly by the people who were supposed to care for her. I hope readers can have empathy for kids in foster care, but also for people who have been abused. I hope readers can walk away feeling that no matter how bad things may get, there’s always hope.
- Is there anything you’d like your readers to know before reading your book?
I am thrilled each time I hear someone wants to read my book, but I also don’t want to cause harm to anyone reading it without knowing what they’re in for. I have content warnings posted here.
- Are you working on anything right now, and if so, are you able to share?
I’m working on something that hasn’t been announced yet, but it will be soon. So stay tuned!
- What (other) debuts are you excited to get your hands on?
So many, how can I choose?! I’ve already had the honor of reading several yet-to-be-released debuts, but I haven’t gotten my hands on GRAVEMAIDENS by Kelly Coon just yet. And I’m also very excited to read WILD LIFE by Keena Roberts. I can’t wait!
About the BookThe Quiet You Carry
by Nikki Barthelmess
Find the Author: Website, Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, Instagram
Published by Flux Release date : March 5th, 2019
Genres: Young Adult
Purchase at: Amazon (Affiliate Link)
Victoria Parker knew her dad's behavior toward her was a little unusual, but she convinced herself everything was fine—until she found herself locked out of the house at 3:00 a.m., surrounded by flashing police lights.
Now, dumped into a crowded, chaotic foster home, Victoria has to tiptoe around her domineering foster mother, get through senior year at a new school, and somehow salvage her college dreams . . . all while keeping her past hidden.
But some secrets won't stay buried—especially when unwanted memories make Victoria freeze up at random moments and nightmares disrupt her sleep. Even worse, she can't stop worrying about her stepsister Sarah, left behind with her father. All she wants is to move forward, but how do you focus on the future when the past won't leave you alone?
- Prize is Pre-Order HC of The Quiet You Carry.
- Open INT as long as TBD ships to you
- Must be 13 years of age or older, with parents permission
- Ends 2/26/2019 at 11:59PM ET
- Blog rules apply. Read here.
Tonyalee is an avid reader, gym junkie, coffee addicted workaholic and blogger. Be sure to follow on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram for random shenanigans.